Saturday, December 17, 2011

Second Thanksgiving

We spend most Thanksgiving's with Jess's family, but this year, I decided there were too many fall dishes I wanted to make and not enough room and her mother's oven. I could only bring my green bean casserole (the only cooked veggie Jess will eat--its slathered in cheese), pumpkin risotto (I found the recipe at The Edible Perspective) and Sweet Potato Stuffed Baked Apples with Toasted Marshmallows (from Iowa Girl Eats. Ok I went a little overboard, I know that. But it all sounded so good at it was. It went great with Marti's vegetarian pot pie of broccoli, cauliflower and chickpeas.


So, after limiting myself to three ridiculous but delectable dishes, I did the natural thing and decided to host a second Thanksgiving on Saturday and invite my parents.


It was my first time making a turkey. Did I mention that I'm a vegetarian and that Jess was gone for the morning? I got up Saturday morning and went to the grocery store. I had a coupon for Butterball and went in search for just a turkey breast. I had to ask where they were kept (it was after Thanksgiving so they weren't as prominent) and the only ones I could find were frozen solid. I spent the better part of the day trying to defrost the damn thing and get it into the pan. I really had a hard time with inserting the meat thermometer. The texture of it just reminded me that it used to be some unfortunate bird's flesh. I cooked it anyway, and apparently it was good. I wouldn't know.


 We still had risotto and green beans left over so I heated them up and added more cheese to the casserole. 30% veggie, 70% cheese. Very healthy. 


To make it an even healthier meal I found this Three Cheese Scalloped Potato recipe on Epicurious. Cheddar, parm and blue. It was heavenly, although it oozed out of the pan and I'm still setting of the smoke alarm every time I use the oven. 




And finally, a Double Decker Pumpkin-Caramel Pie from RecipeGirl. This was the first foodie blog I ever followed and I almost always love her recipes. This one was basically a pumpkin pie served chilled with caramel whipped cream on top. As I prefer my pumpkin pie warm, this recipe wasn't for me. Although I now want to put (caramel) flavored whipped cream on everything, at least everything that is supposed to be served cold. 



Second Thanksgiving a success. Now on to Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment