Saturday, December 17, 2011

BEA & NYC

A few months ago I was extremely lucky to attend Book Expo America in New York City for the first time. For those of you who don't know, Book Expo America (BEA) brings together authors, publishers, booksellers and librarians to preview the newest in literature for the coming year.

I was only able to attend on Tuesday (the conference ran through Thursday--next time I will have to go for an additional day) but I went to NYC on Saturday morning to spend time with my friend, Meredythe. We went to a fantastic dueling piano club in Times Square, ate at some delicious restaurants, spent  time on the Highline, visited the Strand and toured the PRATT campus, where Meredythe is a grad student. That's us right before the piano bar, it is also quite possible the only good picture we have ever taken together.

I'm starting the blog with this post, because that is when I decided I would start a book blog. I wanted an increased opportunity to receive ARCs from publishers. I thought this was a good way. I also just wanted one. Keep in mind Book Expo was in May. I'm nearly 7 months behind, but who's counting.

This is a picture of the train station in Hartford. I was determined to document my trip.


I have never seen a Ball Point Pen dispenser, there was one at the Pratt library. I want one. I really want one, but I don't think anyone is a excited by this as me.

And now finally, the point of this blog: for me to
talk about books and foods. Here is the delicious meal we cooked for Meredythe's then boyfriend Asher (they're engaged now). There is linguine with steamed mussels in a homemade cream sauce and the biscuits for the strawberry shortcake Mer made.
And here, is the swag from my first ever Book Expo. 77 books and arcs! I've read through many of them, purchased some of those for my library and I used the remainder as prizes for the teens in my library. Getting them home on the train was not fun. I was quite a spectacle opening my bag on the street and trying to cram in more books, juggling the swag bags in the my arms, plus my weekend bag. I was convinced I would miss the train and couldn't find the elevator so I dragged it down the stairs tipping it over and getting in the way of all the business people just trying to get home. Their disdain for my ineptitude was obvious, but fortunately none of them said anything nasty and Jess met me in New Haven and did most of the dragging from that point home.

No comments:

Post a Comment