Monday, July 9, 2012

Skinny--Donna Cooner

This was one of the books I heard talked about at the CLA Conference and I was super excited to get a copy at BEA. 

Ever has always used food as a comfort and she has been trying to loose the extra weight for as long as she can remember. Unhappy with herself and her life, she opts for gastric bypass surgery to help her loose weight so that she can re-make herself. Post-surgery Ever has to rediscover herself as she looses weight and learns who her true friends are. She also hopes that surgery will rid her of the voice in her head she calls "Skinny," a sub-conscious part of her that whispers depressing and negative thoughts. 

"You're not good enough."

"You'll never be skinny." 

"Why would he like you."

Yes there is a boy. And two gorgeous stepsisters. And a nerdy best friend. 

Parts of this book are predictable. Parts of it are your typical love story. But the parts that deal with a major live change, surgery and Ever's internal struggle are fascinating. I didn't know much about the gastric bypass procedure until I read this book. I'm glad I did. Teens are going to love this book and I highly recommend it for library shelves. My one complaint is that she never saw a therapist and the mental health implications of her hearing this voice were never dealt with. Otherwise wonderful. I also like the cover!

*ARC provided by publisher at BEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment