Friday, February 10, 2012

Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin

I forget where I first saw the review for this book, but when I found it on Netgalley, I jumped. And then when I realized it was by the same authors as Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance and was told in alternating chapters from the perspectives of Tessa and Luke, I was sure this would be another entertaining but predictable book. But I severely underestimated the authors. 
Tessa and Luke had been best friends for years. But, it wasn't until Luke asked Tessa to prom that she admitted to being a lesbian. So when Tessa bought a tux to take her girlfriend to prom, and Luke makes a misconstrued comment out of hurt to the school newspaper, Halpin and Franklin recreate the story of Constance McMillan.
The story was in the news a year or two ago--the school canceled prom rather than let two girls attend prom together, or encroach upon their first amendment right to do so.

Tessa Masterson Will Go To Prom is a wonderful, entertaining, and hopeful story about friendship. This book is sure to be a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment