Wednesday, April 30, 2014

One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva

So this book fits a niche audience. But will also be widely applicable to a larger group. An Armenian-American who discovers he's gay. And there isn't any of that internal panic or homophobia. It's wonderful to read and wonderful for teens to have this book as an example as well. Diversity list, pick up this book! And then maybe start reading about the Armenian people.

However, I really wanted a bit more from the writing. I felt disconnected from Ethan--at times he seemed too much like a skater caricature. But that doesn't mean I didn't like all of the characters. I did, even Alek's very-opinionated, grade-obsessed parents.

This will definitely be purchased for the teens at my library and I am sure it will circulate well.

No comments:

Post a Comment